Announcement

Collapse

2018 European GUA - Save the Date!

The European Graphic Users Association Conference is coming to Lisbon, Portugal, October 10-12, 2018. Returning for 2018 - GUA University classes which will allow you to enhance your skills and knowledge with in-depth hands on computer training. Registration will be opening soon! Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and the website for the latest information https://www.guaconference.com/
See more
See less

GUA 20068 Venue Help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GUA 20068 Venue Help

Hey Everyone!

Its little old me again looking for some feedback. As the Board and Kodak start planning the 08 conference, I need your input on where it should be held.

As we try to grow the conference and add members like digital print, its important that we keep that in mind as we choose a centralized location for all of us to gather and mingle.
    Here are a few choices that come to mind…

Las Vegas, NV
    Los Angeles, CA
    Dallas, TX
    Vancouver, BC
    Miami, FL
    Rochester, NY

As you reply, please know that your voice is important. Tell us why you want to go one place over another….If you have another idea, give it a try.
    We need to pick a place soon so we can have Judy and Kodak go to work picking a hotel and conference space! – THANK YOU
    Thomas R. Clifford, Jr.
    Graphic Users Association Past President
    | Preps 5 | twitter.com/tommytrc |

sigpic

Re: GUA 20068 Venue Help

Seriously, please don't ever hold it in Toronto.

I'll think on it, and add something more constructive later.

edit: Vancouver would probably be my first choice because of the facilities.
    Now, if it was held just one week later in June, I might be inclined to go directly
    from there to the WWDC. That would make San Francisco my second choice.
    If the conference is bumped back up to May, then I would choose Florida again.
    Last edited by wendytf; 06-13-2007, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tclifford
      Hey Everyone!

Its little old me again looking for some feedback. As the Board and Kodak start planning the 08 conference, I need your input on where it should be held.

As we try to grow the conference and add members like digital print, its important that we keep that in mind as we choose a centralized location for all of us to gather and mingle.
      Here are a few choices that come to mind…

Las Vegas, NV
      Los Angeles, CA
      Dallas, TX
      Vancouver, BC
      Miami, FL
      Rochester, NY

As you reply, please know that your voice is important. Tell us why you want to go one place over another….If you have another idea, give it a try.
      We need to pick a place soon so we can have Judy and Kodak go to work picking a hotel and conference space! – THANK YOU
      Las Vegas -- not real interested, to be honest. Very expensive, everything's just so big so as to be silly.

LA -- that'd be fine. Good weather, easy access from several airports.

Dallas -- meh. Not bad cause it'd be central (at least for the US), but I'd rather see Chicago over Dallas, personally. Nicer city, more to do, better climate that time of year.

Vancouver -- this would be cool. Awesome city, close to Kodak facilities.

Miami -- selfishly, I'd love this 'cause it's close. Lots to do, GUA was pretty awesome there a few years ago.

Rochester -- it'd be good as it's obviously in Kodak's back yard, but not much else recommends it, frankly. Kind of a boring little town (no offense -- I don't live in Excitement City, USA either).

So, I guess my vote would be, in order, Vancouver, Miami, LA, Dallas, Las Vegas, Rochester. Though I'd write-in Chicago at number 1, for what it's worth.

The bottom line, though, is that it doesn't really matter all that much so long as the content is strong as usual.

Comment

Vancouver gets my vote. The biggest reason for choosing Vancouver is that this years conference was my first, so I have yet to go to Vancouver. I think for me it would be interesting to see the former Creo headquarters and operations. From what I hear the lab is better because of how many extra staff members are available to talk to from Kodak.

I heard Miami was really nice a few years ago, so Miami would be my distant second place vote.

I will also write in a alternate vote for Chicago as well as others, because of how central it is to everyone.

Summary of my preferences:
        1) Vancouver
        2) Miami
        3) *Chicago*
        4) Las Vegas
        5) Dallas
        6) LA
        7) Rochester

Thanks for asking,
        Eric
        Eric Biggins
        Digital Services
        The Sheridan Press
        Hanover, PA USA
        ebiggins@tsp.sheridan.com

Comment

OKay now look who's the idiot. I just noticed that my happy fingers hit a few extra keys when I typed the thread name..It shouldbe GUA 2008 Venue Help, not GUA 20068 Venue help..

I'm lame.

tc
          Thomas R. Clifford, Jr.

sigpic

Comment

I'd be happy to just attend another conference. The 'mingling' offers as much value as anything else. Maybe it's just me, but I learn more from other users than I do sitting in a classroom. If all other things are equal, here's my preference.

Miami/Chicago
            LA
            Rochester
            Dallas
            Vancouver
            Vegas

I threw in Chicago, not because it's close to me, but because it's central and that would help keep the travel cost down for more members.
            It is/was the print center for the US.
            Plenty of conference places to choose from.
            Good pizza

I'd like Miami simply because I've never been there.
            Ed Schrempf
            Graphic Packaging
            Approval XP4, Prinergy 5.2.2.1

Comment

Originally posted by tclifford
              OKay now look who's the idiot. I just noticed that my happy fingers hit a few extra keys when I typed the thread name..It shouldbe GUA 2008 Venue Help, not GUA 20068 Venue help..

I'm lame.

tc
              That's okay Tom; it's probably the residual hangover from all the margaritas...

Comment

Somewhere on the west coast for less travel time from Australia and a Warm climate would be nice :-)

Dennis Wyers

Comment

Originally posted by dwyers
                  Somewhere on the west coast for less travel time from Australia and a Warm climate would be nice :-)

Dennis Wyers
                  Hell, I say let's hold it on Bondi Beach! Gotta help a fellow GUA member out with his travel, after all. Also, in this case, could we hold the GUA meeting over about two weeks or so?

Comment

What time of year will it be held? I wouldn't be interested in going to a warm part of the country in the summertime in North America... i.e. I don't do Florida from May through November (too freakin' hot).

Chicago (90-120 minutes away), Vancouver (close to Creo/Kodak HQ, lots of available resources), or Australia (go get parts for my Monaro/GTO while I'm there would be my picks
                    Sells Printing Company LLC
                    New Berlin, WI 53151 USA
                    --
                    Prinergy 5.0.2.2
                    InSite 6.0.2.7411

Comment

Re: GUA 2008 Venue Help

We are looking at some time in April 2008. Thats all I can say right now...
                      Thomas R. Clifford, Jr.

sigpic

Comment

Anywhere on the West coast, a 14 hour flight is more than enough, love Vancouver.

Comment

I can say that Vancouver offers the best resources for learning which is why I would go. Chicago is probably the cheapest for me to attend. From a personal point of view I've never been to Miami which might be nice. I must say though budget plays the biggest role for us.

Vancouver
                          Chicago
                          Miami
                          Dallas
                          Vegas
                          Rochester
                          L.A.

Comment

Re: GUA 2008 Venue Help_UPDATE

Okay folks...

You have spoken and now we have 2 choices for the GUA 2008 to pick from...

The survey has come back with Miami and Las Vegas as the 2 top contenders....

Now is the time to sound off on which one you think is better!!!

Lett'er rip!

thomqas
                            Thomas R. Clifford, Jr.

sigpic

Comment

With those being the 2 choices, I would pick Miami.

Comment

Working...
                              X