Do you know how much for the room in Vegas

Thanks
    Robert Racien

Re: GUA Vegas Room Cost

Originally posted by rracine
    Do you know how much for the room in Vegas

Thanks
    Robert Racien
    I was at a conference at the Wynn last year, and the rooms were approximately $200/night. I would expect the same for GUA, as the size of the conference was similar.

Kevin

Comment

The Wynn resort was mentioned in a piece on NPR this morning. It was about businesses becoming more reliant on hidden fees. The reporter mentioned that at the Wynn, if you take something out of the mini-bar to look at it you only have 60 seconds to put it back or they will charge you for it even if you don't drink it.
      Jamie Stotz
      EPP Systems Administrator
      Cenveo, Baltimore

jamie.stotz@cenveo.com

Prinergy 5.0.3.1, Preps 5.3.3, Upfront 4.0.6

Comment

The rates that Judy negotiates with our hotels many times do not have the hidden costs associated with them like those of a non-negotiated rate. For instance, there were portage fees as well as internet access and cleaning fees at the hotel in Arizona last year. Judy got those fees waved. Of course the different levels of taxes are state and locally regulated and are non negotiable. With hotels there is a huge give and take... you spend $X amount with us in food and beverages and we will knock $X amount off your room per night in return. In some ways its a racket, but we have a lot of members and the needs of the conference are rather specific. Technology conferences are more expensive then say a Mary Kay conferences as we need all the power hookups and networking. Bottom line, Judy does a great job and along with the board, really works hard to get the best price to maximize value for the GUA member.
        Thomas R. Clifford, Jr.
        Graphic Users Association Past President
        | Preps 5 | twitter.com/tommytrc |

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jamie.stotz
          The Wynn resort was mentioned in a piece on NPR this morning. It was about businesses becoming more reliant on hidden fees. The reporter mentioned that at the Wynn, if you take something out of the mini-bar to look at it you only have 60 seconds to put it back or they will charge you for it even if you don't drink it.
          Yeah, though the minibar is, as with all minibars, a complete ripoff, the technology behind theirs is pretty cool. Once you take an item out of the minibar, it detects it and starts a 60-second countdown; if the item is not returned within that time period the system charges you, and it shows up almost instantaneously on your room bill.

In all fairness, though, the way the system works is very well marked, and you really can't miss it. I suppose the only thing that could be considered somewhat underhanded is that there's no visible counter or anything showing how much time is remaining before you get charged. But I think that's kind of nit-picking – I mean, how long does someone really need to study a minibar item?

Anyhow, all that being said, the Wynn is a very nice property, perhaps the nicest in Las Vegas right now, so it should be a great place for GUA. And while it's not cheap, I don't believe that it's any more expensive than any other good property on the strip, nor any other nice conference center.

Comment

Rooms at the wynn are $239.00 a night. - tc
            Thomas R. Clifford, Jr.

sigpic

Comment

To go to the GUA, do you have to stay at the Wynn hotel. Got to ask this question.
              Pat LaVigne

Comment

No - absolutly not! You do not have to stay at the same hotel. Certianly there are benefits to staying, but you are free to stay wherever you would like.
                Last edited by tclifford; 02-08-2008, 05:10 PM.
                Thomas R. Clifford, Jr.

sigpic

Comment

I booked at TI it is close to the Wynn and my whole package with air was under the cost of 2 nights at the Wynn. If you have to do air also a package deal thru (insert your travel site here) is a good option.

Comment

Working...
                  X