Announcement

Collapse

2018 European GUA - Save the Date!

The European Graphic Users Association Conference is coming to Lisbon, Portugal, October 10-12, 2018. Returning for 2018 - GUA University classes which will allow you to enhance your skills and knowledge with in-depth hands on computer training. Registration will be opening soon! Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and the website for the latest information https://www.guaconference.com/
See more
See less

Industry Blogs I read

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Industry Blogs I read

I have a couple blogs I read on a daily basis...well more like 80 or 90, but I wanted to share my industry ones and see if anyone has others to share.

Bo Sacks

Print CEO Blog

Prepress Pilgram

What are you reading...or RSS'ing?

btw I love google reader for RSS feed, it rocks!

-tc
    Thomas R. Clifford, Jr.
    Graphic Users Association Past President
    | Preps 5 | twitter.com/tommytrc |

sigpic

Re: Industry Blogs I read

Read the Pilgram also. Interesting stuff sometimes. I really liked the story about the Brisque. I have heard at least 4 to 5 different stories from Scitex/Creo/Kodak insiders about the Brisque. Between them all it paints an interesting picture.
    Mark Jetzer
    GUA Board Member
    | Access Business Group / Amway| Ada MI | Prinergy 6.1
    , Magnus 800s, ThermoFlex Mid II
    Fiery XF/Epson7900 Inkjets,
    Preps 7, Pandora 4.0, InSite 6.5, RBA, APA, Storefront
    and the kitchen sink

Comment

Hiya Tom:

Thanks for the plug. I've guess you forgiven me for leaving Prescript team so many years and joining that goofy, whacked out, futuristic team called Araxi which ultimately doomed your beloved Platemaster to oblivion.

Still lots of fun being in prepress...

DJ
      www.prepresspilgrim.com
      Support my prepress blog by shopping at my prepress store

Comment

Did you work on PreScript with Rebecca Bishop? She was one of my fav RC people who went on to Creo greatness...well there was Paul Baker, and Justin and Lesley and others... WOW how time flies. Do we need a moment of silence for Platemaster? -tc
        Thomas R. Clifford, Jr.

sigpic

Comment

Beck was part of the core team for Prescript one. She would come up for the core team meetings with a very long face and bring us feedback from the customer base.

...Then she would return to RC, unburdened.

Prescript two was pretty well received, for those that cared at the time. Actually, the 2nd version closed some pretty big $$$ VLF deals in Europe back then.

Behind the scenes, the stuff that Creo learned about RIPs in dealing with Harlequin served us very well in cutting deals with Adobe. Judi cut a pretty sweet business deal with the Adobe guys that made Araxi (Prinergy) financially viable.

Comment

PreScript 2.x was the saving grace for us in dealing with early generation PDF files. We would export to EPS then run through Prescript and those files would sail through PlateMaster no sweat. It rocked. Would would literally process thousands of pages per day in PreScript. This was until we get a hold of Jim Cox and his Prinergy Satellite.... Evo's older brother... concept and beta tested that bad boy. Now that rocked. Pqage after page we processed through that. Kinda put PreScript out of a job.

Love Live PreScript.

ps..what was the name of the abandoned workflow that showcased prescript but was shown at GraphExpo but then dry docked?
            Thomas R. Clifford, Jr.

sigpic

Comment

Hmmm,, I think it was pageflow... maybe. I don't remember the exact name but it was supposed to be built with Trapwise as the trapping engine and with Aldus "pipes" in Color Central that was supposed to glue it all together.

I think it got killed because a lot of that system would have depended on "other vendors" contributing waaaay too much of the system.

In the 1990s, the software group at Creo really made a concerted effort to "roll our own" products as we were getting tired of getting burned by crappy software that we were reselling *cough* Intersep OPI *cough*

Even with Prinergy, a lot of bumps in Prinergy were traced back to a vendor who supplied us with buggy code. It got so desperate that a couple of the senior software engineers reverse compiled (is that how you say it?) the executable to get at the source code and fixed some really bad bugs.

Prinergy didn't really get stable until that vendor's crap was shown the door.

Cheers, DJ
              Prepress Pilgrim
              Last edited by dj_dunkerley; 07-08-2008, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dj_dunkerley
                In the 1990s, the software group at Creo really made a concerted effort to "roll our own" products as we were getting tired of getting burned by crappy software that we were reselling *cough* Intersep OPI *cough*
                We still use Intersep OPI! What is wrong with it?

Comment

Oh yuck..seriously. OPI in your workflow? Please tell me its for copydot and not real true old school OPI? I just didn't realize anyone still uses OPI. Intercep was very buggy for us back in the PlateMaster days.
                  Thomas R. Clifford, Jr.

sigpic

Comment

Nope, we use OPI the old fashioned way, placing images in Quark 6.5. The only bug we came across was in Prinergy. Sometimes the lores path to the image that was embedded in the source file was a real path that Prinergy could get to, and it would sometimes use that image instead of pulling the hires. We fixed that by locking out the prinergy account from those lores folders.

Comment

You mention Prinergy. Is Intercep OPI better the Prinergy built in OPI engine?
                      Thomas R. Clifford, Jr.

sigpic

Comment

We only log in images through Intersep. We place the lores in Quark, save as thin EPS, then Prinergy OPI pulls in the hires pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by ryan-chermok
                          We only log in images through Intersep. We place the lores in Quark, save as thin EPS, then Prinergy OPI pulls in the hires pictures.
                          We still use OPI. I should point out that we aren't doing commercial print (Quark/InDesign booklets/mags). Many sales guys have said that OPI is a thing of the past but not so for large volumes of packaging/label/poster artworks. This type of work requires on average 3 submissions to client. This means we need to open up, amend and save back down very quickly. We couldn't do the volume without OPI.
                          We use sampler to create the link files we require and place into Illustrator. We refine and get Prinergy to do OPI. It works well for us and also allows us to work remotely via Insite uploads.
                          --
                          Alan Guest

Applications Manager
                          Jennings Global
                          UK
                          Prinergy/Insite/XP4/Rennaisance/Platesetter/Preps & Pandora

Comment

Working...
                          X