Email

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Email

Has anyone figured out an email program for the Mac that works in conjunction with exchange server 2003. We currently use Microsft outlook on the Mac's that have OS9 on them. We love the drag and drop and ease of use in Outlook on the Mac but that will be going away soon we finally drop OS9 completely. Several email programs claim to work well with exchange server, but do not.
    edwarde@data-mail.com

Re: Email

Entourage is the closest you are going to get.

Comment

Mac OS Mail program could also be setup to use exchange although something at the system level needs to be modified using terminal and logging in as the root user.
      Prepress Manager
      Colour Technologies
      pablo@colourtec.com

Comment

Edward,

Are you upgrading to new Macs, or just dropping OS9 off of existing Macs? If you are looking to replace your hardware with new (Intel) Mac(s), you may be interested in what I've typed below, but if you are still running Power PC(s) models then simply ignore it.

I recently (finally!) got rid of my Dell laptop, and purchased a new MacBook Pro. I chose rather than go the route of Office for Mac (and Entourage), to install VMware's Fusion, a copy of Win XP, and a copy of MS Office on the Windows side. This way I still get all the benefits of Outlook with an Exchange server, but also have a Mac for everything else. This works extremely well for me, and with Spaces in OSX 10.5, I can can have Outlook running in full screen mode all the time in space #2, and be back and forth between Outlook (Windows) and the Mac by hitting one button.

-Eric
        Eric Biggins
        Digital Services
        The Sheridan Press
        Hanover, PA USA
        ebiggins@tsp.sheridan.com

Comment

You can use any IMAP-compatible email client for mail, assuming your Exchange Server admins have turned on IMAP support. It's not the "massive security hole" which Microsoft complains that it is. Of course, this does nothing for you for scheduling. Entourage is as good as it gets on the Mac platform.

Exchange Client Compatibility for Mail is one of the few new features in Mac OS X 10.6 which should be out in the first half of next year (not sure what the upgrade costs will be, if anything)...

--Robert
          happy not to be using an Exchange server, and being hosed by MS on this issue (if there was a decent Mac Exchange client, there would be a lot more Macs in use, which is something Microsoft doesn't want, hence there is no decent Exchange client from MS)...
          Sells Printing Company LLC
          New Berlin, WI 53151 USA
          --
          Prinergy 5.0.2.2
          InSite 6.0.2.7411

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Biggins View Post
            I chose rather than go the route of Office for Mac (and Entourage), to install VMware's Fusion, a copy of Win XP, and a copy of MS Office on the Windows side.

-Eric
            Check out Sun's VirtualBox. Free!, open source, more stable, and quicker than VMware. I love it (if I have to love something that can run Windows.)

Comment

Originally posted by robert.hammen View Post
              Exchange Client Compatibility for Mail is one of the few new features in Mac OS X 10.6 which should be out in the first half of next year (not sure what the upgrade costs will be, if anything)...

--Robert
              Mac OS upgrades usually cost a hundred bucks -- "Snow Leopard" is due out "about" June.

Comment

Originally posted by paulh View Post
                Check out Sun's VirtualBox. Free!, open source, more stable, and quicker than VMware. I love it (if I have to love something that can run Windows.)
                Paul,

Thanks for the tip, I will check it out. I have only used Fusion, never tried Parallels, VirtualBox, or anything else. I only spent $30 on Fusion, but free is better! I use Fusion at home (Macbook) and at work (MacBook Pro) and have been very happy with it so far. At home I only use Fusion in a virtual environment, however at work I created my VM from a Bootcamp install of Windows, and again both work very well.

Do you know if I can use the same copy of Windows I have installed in Fusion to install in VirtualBox on the same machine, or will I run into MS licensing hell if I try?

Thanks again,
                Eric
                Eric Biggins
                Digital Services
                The Sheridan Press
                Hanover, PA USA
                ebiggins@tsp.sheridan.com

Comment

Originally posted by paulh View Post
                  Mac OS upgrades usually cost a hundred bucks -- "Snow Leopard" is due out "about" June.
                  Except this is a "no new features" upgrade, which will make it hard to charge the full $129 for it. I am a registered developer, went to WWDC, and have my hands on Snow Leopard, FWIW.

Originally posted by Eric Biggins View Post
                  Do you know if I can use the same copy of Windows I have installed in Fusion to install in VirtualBox on the same machine, or will I run into MS licensing hell if I try?
                  If your Windows requires activation, maybe. If you have a volume license copy of Windows (which requires no activation), then you'd probably be OK, at least technically, if not legally...
                  Sells Printing Company LLC
                  New Berlin, WI 53151 USA
                  --
                  Prinergy 5.0.2.2
                  InSite 6.0.2.7411

Comment

Working...
                  X